Saturday 29 May 2010

Randomly Miscellaneous

Random stuff on my mind, at the breakfast table...
First off, I had a good lunch yesterday with the Eurostar arrival, at the bank's expense, which made it double-sweet. To be fair I split the bill: bank paid for meals, I paid for drinks. During lunch Emily flashed 2 tickets to Oslo, which was kinda annoying because there was no way I could get off work before 5pm, and the flight was at 3:30. I was miffed over the lack of planning and the last minute ambush. It soured my mood enough to make even the parting shots of Sambuca taste like vinegar. Emily ("E-II") is part of the French entourage at the Eurovision Song Contest, the annual global barfing ritual. Oslo is a nice place to visit, I have always enjoyed trips there; but for the Eurovision? AS IF!

Next surprise this morning: courtesy of E-II, E-I will now be in Edinburgh for Sunday and the Bank Holiday. Reunions in enemy hinterland are supposed to be especially enchanting; we shall see.
Thirdly, I can't keep politics out of a posting. It's time to celebrate a huge triumph for the Democratic Alliance, the SA Party I have been active for since 2007, and which is aligned with the Tories here in England. The DA has recorded remarkable victories against the ANC in by-elections in the City of Cape Town (Gugulethu-Heideveld) and Theewaterskloof (Grabouw) municipalities, for the first time ever. It shows that the DA is the only Party in SA truly embracing all races and classes, as even black voters desert the ANC. People are fed up with a virtual one-party state and the abuse of power that comes with it. Voters have judged the achievements of the DA: highest prosperity of all states of the Union (and of the African continent), lowest crime, responsible and responsive governance and fiscal discipline.
---
Today is shopping day, and I will hit the mall shortly [Westfield London SC at Sheperds Bush]. Optimist that I am, I will shop for summer wardrobe items, despite being in London. To use an analogy from the financial markets: I'm a contrarian, with a refreshing tad of Tourette's symptoms. Bloody hell.

Current Music (Spotify linked): Ian Brown – Just Like You

No comments: