Sunday 10 January 2010

Bar Essentials



OK, Here's the logic: I'm a member of Littlewoods for a couple of years and bought quite a lot over time mainly for the convenience of delivery. This week I decided that I got tired of the Abseil routine from the bedrooms to the kitchen and to schlepp either a stereo or the laptop to the kitchen to keep me entertained while cooking. So I checked the Philips stereo system I wanted with Littlewoods and was delighted to see that they just reduced their price from 149.00 to 139.00.

Now comes the logical part. Before I ordered I checked with Amazon.co.uk and wouldn't you know, it was for £83.00! There was no stopping me, and - logically - I have saved £56.00 on the day. The saving came just in time for our monthly Thai Curry Challenge (TCC), when four of us challenge each other to complete a four course dinner, one course hotter than the other (the starters start with 4 peppers on the menu, course 2,3 and 4 have the top 5 peppers). Usually it takes place at a fine Thai restaurant in Camden, where even the staff shows respect and amazement that they just cannot serve a dish that would make EURO quit before finishing. OK, pertruding veins on the forehead, temporary outbreak of sweat, teary eyes and / or migraine-like headache occasionally temper the sense of triumph, but only temporarily. As all four of us eat and drink the same (the event is prepaid), we always pool the costs. This time, however, with the savings from the purchase of the audio system, I threw in £40.00 into the pool, leaving the balance of £60.00 to the other three. We also decided to eat at my place rather than in the restaurant this time, as a cold spell made the customary post-dinner bar crawl a less attractive option than usual. For the price of £100.00 we also got six menues to go for the 4 of us, as we saved (again!) on the drinks (not on tips which we always pay happily for the always impeccable service).

Needless to say that the meals last night were perfect, pipping hot when delivered, and that I won yet again. We had 11 'monthlies' in 2009 of which I won seven times. Some(one) Like(s) It Hot...

The rest of the money saved went also for a good, common purpose: coffe, cordials and Thorntons accessories rounded out a perfectly entertaining evening.

Current music: NENEH CHERRY - Woman

No comments: