Wednesday 13 October 2010

Blasted

I don't know what's worse: being condemned to stationary idledom, sweetened by my never failing new Kindle, or the pain whenever I make an effort to 'jump' - OK, it's more like a slide - out of bed. Alone I couldn't manage, but the helping hands actually add a degree of pleasure in this miserable position. For instance, months of training her how to cook pay off royally.

When I went out on Sunday I followed a familiar path that I have enjoyed in London for so long now. At 7 in the morning the Capital is still asleep, and barely traffic as I criss-cross the Royal Borough from The Churchill Arms south on Kensington Church St, turning left at the T-intersection into Hyde Park Gate, turning right into Palace Gate and proceeding south on Gloucester Rd. Often, like on Sunday, I meet up with 2 friends on Wetherby Gardens, and continue south to the Chelsea Embankment through little tranquil residential streets. We became aware of the commotion at 76 Gledhow Gardens, with several fire trucks, ambulance and police cars attending to a victim lying on the sidewalk. Only hours later, when I found myself in the same hospital as that victim, did we learn that the sister of the singer Mika has fallen from the 4th floor of her home, landing on the fence in front and impaled on 3 spikes.

My mishap ended relatively less dramatic. Going full speed on rollerblades we tried to cross the Battersea Bridge along the Embankment when a car driver attempted the totally illegal maneuvre to back onto our path to make a U-turn! Frank and Miriam managed to swerve around the car into the road. I was not so fortunate and hit the car at the rear fender and became airborne. I crashed against the wall that stood between me and a 30ft fall to the bed of River Thames. The impact broke my left arm, as well as bruised ribs and legs and a concussion. Bless my helmet... By 8:30 I was in the emergency room.

It looks like I will miss work for the whole week and - much more regrettable - I will not leave for South Africa on Sunday. The haggling with British Airways for a refund has begun...

No comments: