Friday 6 August 2010

Randomly on religion

After a two-week hiatus from my intellectual world here in England, spent on such profane things as family and sun worshipping on distant (summer-like) shores, it was great to see friends for a good lunch in drab London again. The poor weather provoked me to mumble "the gods must hate England for the lack of summers here." Now, in California that would have caused no more than a broad grin with perfect teeth; but not here, not with friends whose skin has the shade of  Philadelphia cream cheese. Hence a lengthy discussion on god and religion ensued, which in the end led me to sigh and - a glass of crisp white wine in hand - muse about some principles of mine:

I am staunchly agnostic, hence I disagree with the connotation that religion helps "explain the complexities of the world."

More accurately, religion works as a pacifier for human beings, trying to console mortals why they cannot understand such 'complexities' and mystifying things that cannot be explained. I am too rational to be happily lulled into the belief of great gods organising the temporary existance of an earthling and rather reduce our existance to the freakish coincidences of chemical reactions; nothing wonderous and godly about it.

I also resent the - say Christian - knack to be patronized by fellow earthlings dressed in fancy robes who claim to have seen the light and drag me into the blinding arena of a church run like a business. I have been raised Roman Catholic and enjoy my life without it, having replaced mystification of unexplainable things with the acceptance of the fact that I simply don't have all the answers.
Current Music (Spotify enhanced): Zazie – Un Peu Beaucoup

No comments: